8 Things I Don’t Take for Granted Anymore

 There’s so much to be grateful for…

Lately, I’ve been reflecting on the things I once took for granted, realizing how much I’ve overlooked in my everyday life. 

It’s easy to get caught up in what’s missing or not going well, but I’ve learned that gratitude changes everything. 

From my health to the freedom I enjoy, there are so many simple yet profound things that deserve more appreciation. 

In this article, I’ll share the things I no longer take for granted, and why they matter so much to me.

Read Also:

Yay! It’s My Birthday: What Does 27 Feel Like?

Stop Seeing Men Who Aren't Making Their Intentions Clear

4 Reasons Why Losing a Job Could Be a Good Thing

1. Being Alive and Healthy

Every morning I wake up, I’m grateful. I can hear, feel, touch, and taste the world around me. 

I can walk on my own two legs, move freely, and have the energy to go through my day. My hands work perfectly, which is why I’m able to scroll through this right now. 

It’s a simple act, but one that many people don’t have the privilege of doing. 

There are those who have lost their mobility or fine motor skills, and they understand what a gift it is. 

So, I don’t take being alive or healthy for granted. Even on hard days, I remind myself that I have the strength to keep going.

2. Being Young and Having Time

Time is one of those things you can never buy back. Right now, I’m still young, with decades ahead of me, and I’m not going to waste that. 

I have time to take risks, try new things, and even fail. The beauty of being young is that I can make mistakes and recover. 

If I lose my job or a business venture doesn’t work out, I have time to bounce back. My health is strong, and I don’t have to rely on medication to get through the day. 

I no longer complain about time slipping by—I make sure I use it well, knowing it’s one of the most precious resources I have.

3. Freedom of Speech

I can say what’s on my mind without fearing repercussions, and that’s something I’ll never take for granted again. 

Whether it’s posting my opinion online, critiquing the government, or sharing a personal belief, I have the freedom to do so. 

In other places, people are punished, even jailed, for voicing their thoughts. Knowing that some can’t speak freely makes me appreciate my ability to express myself openly.

4. Free Air to Breathe

Breathing fresh, clean air is a privilege. Earlier this year, I learned that Kenya ranked among the least toxic countries in terms of air quality. 

When I compare that to places with severe pollution, I feel fortunate. Even on stressful days, I can step outside, take a deep breath, and feel some relief. 

It’s something I no longer overlook, and I recognize how lucky I am to live where the air is clean.

5. Access to Opportunities

We live in a time where opportunities are everywhere. Information is just a click away, and access to capital isn’t as hard as it used to be. 

I can get a mobile loan from my phone if I need to fund a project. In the past, people had to wait weeks to transfer money or gather resources for business. 

Today, technology makes it so much easier to start something new, learn something valuable, or connect with the right people. 

I don’t take this access for granted, knowing others in the past and even today in other regions don’t have it as easy.

6. My Education

I didn’t become the doctor or pilot I dreamed of as a kid, but I’m grateful for the education I received. 

My parents or guardians made sacrifices to send me to school, and while I may not have reached the highest levels of academia, I learned skills that serve me every day. 

I can read, write, communicate, and count—skills that are crucial to navigating the world. 

Sometimes, I forget how lucky I am to have had the opportunity to learn.

7. Access to Modern Technology

I have high-speed internet at my fingertips, and I can use it to create, share, and sell with ease. 

When I think about how much technology has advanced, I realize how much of an advantage I have. 

I can run a business from my phone, stay connected to people across the globe, and learn new things every day. 

It’s something I no longer take for granted, knowing how much this access empowers me.

8. Peace

I learned the value of peace the hard way. In 2007, during the post-election violence, I experienced a breakdown of everything I once thought was secure. 

Basic needs like food, water, and even safety were hard to come by. That experience taught me that peace is fragile and essential. 

Now, I deeply appreciate the calm and stability I often take for granted.

Final Word

I’ve come to realize that there’s so much around me that I once overlooked. 

These are just a few of the things I’ve learned to appreciate more, and they give me countless reasons to be grateful. 

Gratitude has opened my eyes to the fullness of life, and I challenge you to take a moment to recognize the blessings around you too.


Comments